Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lois's Graduate studies

My studies started immediately after registering. I took several Biblical courses including "Prophetic Literature of the Old Testament" under Dr.  F. Kearley;  "The Use of Apocalyptic Style  in the Old and New Testaments" under Dr. Ian Fair; "Christian Ethics", under Dr. Carl Spain. The remainder of my studies were "Seminar in Contemporary Problems and Family Studies"  under Dr.  Tom Holland, and "Marriage and Family" under Dr. Paul Faulkner.  The course which entranced me the most, I think, was one I took under Dr. Milholland which required that I go to the Abilene State School where they had mentally disabled children who were sent there by parents who found they could not understand or control their offspring. I especially remember one little boy. He was about eight years old and had the sweetest, most angelic face I had ever seen on a child. This is how my attempted conversation went with him :
    Lois –  Hello
   Boy – Hello
   Lois - How are you
   Boy - How are you
   Lois – I'm fine, thank you
   Boy - I'm fine, thank you
   Lois – I'm glad
   Boy - I'm glad
 Mary, the professional in charge of these kids, came in then and took me aside and told me, "He doesn't understand a single thing you have said to him, he cannot talk normally, he has what is called "Echolalia,"  "lalia" is a Greek word meaning "speech," Some call it "parroting." The children at the State School were taken for walks where they collected wild flowers, leaves, grass, and sticks, etc, which they would take back to school and stick onto white paper. Some of their creations could only be described as "exquisite". I borrowed several of them to take to show the class their
beautiful creations. For my final  endeavour I was asked, by Paul Faulkner, to write to as many churches of Christ and find out how many of them approved of hiring marriage counselors for their congregation's troubled families. He told me not to expect too many responses. I received about 30% response, which Dr. Faulkner thought was particularly good. This, very briefly describes my MS Degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment